Tax Exempt Status: Documentation and Process
We are documenting both the process and result of our journey toward 501(c)3 tax status as part of our commitment to transparency and to help make the path toward 501(c)3 status easier for the organizations who come after us.
This page will include not only final and draft versions of our 1023 application forms submitted to the IRS, but also a list of the resources we used to develop our application and as much of our “draft” thinking and planning as we could gather.
If you have additional questions about our experience with this application, please ask them in the comments section. While we cannot provide specific advice on how you should proceed, we are happy to let you know what worked (and didn’t work) for us.
- Determination of 501(c)3 public charity status letter from the IRS (uploaded on 09-03-11)
- Mach 30 response to IRS request for additional information (uploaded on 07-20-11)
- Request fromIRS for additional information (uploaded on 06.21.2011)
- Dated 06.16.2011, received 06.21.2011
- Final Draft of IRS Form 1023(uploaded on 12.22.2010)
- Consensed on by the Board of Directors on 12.19.2010
- Submitted to IRS on 12.22.2010
- Second Draft of IRS Form 1023 (uploaded on 12.04.2010)
- First Draft of IRS Form 1023 (uploaded on 11.18.2010)
Feedback from former board member Missy Behymer
- If you have completed one tax year (which we have, 2009), then the financial data needs to cover 4 years (current draft has 3 years of financial data)
- Application fees have been raised to $400 for annual gross receipts under $10,000 over four years and $850 for annual gross receipts over $10,000 for four years
- Please note, after a little bit of research we have discovered that the revised fees are only correct until the new IRS Cyber Assistant (a web-based method for filing the 1023) goes online, at which point all groups filing electronically will pay $200 and all groups filing by paper forms will pay $850. Unfortunately, the release of this tool has been delayed.
- Resources (books, samples, other materials used by Mach 30 in the preparation of its IRS Form 1023)
- Minutes from Incorporation Task Force (Committee responsible for shepherding Mach 30 through this process)